Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"New" Fireplace

Over the 3-day weekend I was able to get the fireplace painted.  Now, I have some very dear friends who were appalled when I told them I was planning to paint my fireplace.  And some very dear relatives too.

I've been throwing it around for 5 years and every time I got ready to do it, Dr. Love talked me out of it.  Well, after finding some great before & after pics online he agreed and even helped!

After vacuuming it well to remove dust & cobwebs, we put on three coats of primer.  Primer at $16/gallon is much less expensive than my Benjamin Moore paint at $45/gallon!  After the 3 coats, I needed only 1 coat of paint!

I must say, it looks terrific.  You would say so too if I posted a picture of it.  But I'm not going to post any "in progress" pictures of the room so you'll have to wait a while for the reveal.  I am also going to stain my mantel...it's an old piece of lumber from who-knows-where and is bolted onto the brick tightly.  It's dark but worn looking so I'm adding some matte dark stain so that it will complement the floor (when Dr. Love gets it done) better.  And, I'm looking for new light fixtures too :)

What have you been up to?

Hugs, Leslie

1 comment:

Sue McPeak said...

Hi Leslie....I'm up to my eyeballs in apron making for my ETSY store. I can hardly wait to see your re-do and painted fireplace. I have painted one before, and it worked out beautifully. It is a hard thing to do, but in the end, it works.

Just wondering if you received your FQ Bundle.
Sue